Sunday 1 April 2012

Joseph and Juliet

 Some photos of a piece I am currently working on. I live in a terraced house with the pavement right outside. One evening I was pulling the curtains, and outside were two young skateboarders, probably aged 13 or so. They were sharing a happy, yet chaste embrace. A few days later I decided to sketch this. During the sketch, the boy developed a big woolly rasta hat, the girl a hijab. I started thinking about Romeo and Juliet, the Montagues and the Capulets, Joseph and Mary, Christians and Muslims.....I hoped the image might convey something universal about warring factions, and love. I decided to call it Joseph and Juliet. It's carved out of a very old oak joist, and looks a bit "lumpy" in progress. The piece is nearly finished now, so I shall post a picture of it completed soon. It would have been finished earlier had it not been for the                                           fantastic heatwave which drew me outside, to the beach, the garden, the hills...


No comments:

Post a Comment